At the end of 2017 school year, Crittenton Services of Greater Washington embarked on a journey to understand more clearly, why the girls we serve consistently identify the same challenges year after year. We listened intently during numerous focus groups of teen girls. We gathered local, regional, and national research to deepen our understanding. We searched for the root causes and solutions for the significant challenges girls and young women living in Wards 5, 7, and 8 face in their communities.
Through this effort, we sought to answer two questions:
- What are the major barriers to academic success for girls living in communities of concentrated disadvantage?
- What can be done to reduce those barriers?
- Understand the landscape in which DC girls learn.
- Share what we learned with others working with teen girls, funders, policymakers, and community groups.
- Invite collaboration and co-creation for solutions that create the necessary changes in policies, practices, and culture.
We are ready to share our findings and invite all who care about our community’s teen girls to join us in true collaboration and co-creation with girls. Together we will focus on real world solutions that engage all stakeholders.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if interested in getting more involved.